Friday, December 27, 2019

Calgary, Alberta - Days 14 & 15 - August 14-15th (Mallard Point)


My 14th &  15th day in Calgary added three more lifers, two on the 14th and one on the 15th.  I checked with ebird.org  and realized that on the 13th, Nature Calgary saw two birds I did not see, Townsend's Warbler (Setophaga townsendi) and Gray Partridge (Perdix perdix ). Over the next two days, I would search diligently for these birds but will not find them. Here are the highlights of those days.

Day 14
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)
The morning started with my usual walk from the bus stop to the public area at Mallard Point, and over to the shrubbery just across from it.  Then I made my way through the woods,  getting very good looks at both sub-species of Yellow-rumped Warblers (Setophaga coronate), the more common Myrtle, with its white throat, and the scarcer Audobon, which shows a yellow throat. Yellow-rumps were the most numerous warbler for the day.  In the area just before the footbridge,  I also spent a few minutes trying to turn a Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)  into a Philadelphia Vireo (Vireo philadelphicus), two species that can be difficult to separate.  My attention was drawn to the color of the throat.  The philly’s throat is yellowish, while the warbling is much paler.  A close examination of the images said the bird was a Warbling, but a Philadelphia Vireo would have been the highlight of my day, maybe even the trip. I did see my first lifer for the day in this same area. A Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) foraging for food high up in the canopy.
My second lifer came at Burnsmead, while I was on my way home.  I was photographing a new addition to the pond, a Redhead (Aythya Americana) when a Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) flew by.

Day 15
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Day 15 brought an unexpected lifer, an Olive-sided Flycatcher (Contopus cooperi).  When I first saw this bird I thought it was a Western Wood-Pewee (Contopus sordidulus), but then, I noticed the bright white chest with dark flanks, giving an "open jacket" appearance on this bird, which is one of the Olive-sided field markings.  This was one of the highlight birds of my trip.  I also saw a Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) with its prey but didn't see the Gray Partridge (Perdix perdix ) or the Townsend's Warbler (Setophaga townsendi).

Trip Tally
New Species for the Days: 3
New Lifers for the Days: 3
Total Species for the Trip: 104
Total Lifers for the Trip: 73


Black-and-white Warbler; Mourning Dove; Olive-sided Flycatcher

<---Days 12,13 | Main Day 16 --->
Sharp-shinned Hawk

Blue Jay

Yellow Warbler


Olive-sided Flycatcher

Common Raven

Western Wood-Pewee

European Starling

Redhead

No comments:

Post a Comment