Sunday, December 1, 2019

Calgary, Alberta - Days 9 & 10 - August 9-10th

House Finch
The ninth and tenth days of birding were uneventful, birding-wise.  I saw two new birds for the trip with one, House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus), being a lifer.

I started on the ninth at Burnsmead but this time I followed the trails north towards Bankside.  At Burnsmead I saw a Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto), a first for the trip.  I had a miniature photo session with a few birds playing in a tree at Bankside.  Then, out of nowhere, this cute little weasel-like animal decided to photobomb my photoshoot. 
Long-tailed Weasel

I later learned that this animal was called a Long-tailed Weasel (Mustela frenata) and surprisingly none of my Canadian relatives had ever seen one in person.  That was the highlight of my morning birding.

Later that day, while on my way to the train station at Canon Meadows I saw my only lifer of the day, a House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus). 
I did not go out on the morning of the tenth but took advantage of the long days of sunlight and headed out to Burnsmead around 8:00 pm.  The highlight was seeing six Ruddy Ducklings (Oxyura jamaicensis).  We normally see them as vagrants here in Barbados but I have never seen their ducklings before.
At the end of Days nine and ten my tally increased just slightly.

Trip Tally
New Species for the Days: 2
New Lifers for the Days: 1
Total Species for the Trip: 94
Total Lifers for the Trip: 64

Eurasian Collared-Dove; House Finch 



Images From Day 9 & 10






No comments:

Post a Comment