Saturday, May 2, 2020

Big Year Update: April

I gave deep consideration to suspending both of my big year challenges, in like of the month-long quarantine in April. Even though the bulk of restrictions will come to an end mid-night May 3rd, a few limitations will remain in place for an indefinite period.  Last year when I finished the year with 108 species, I had 82 species at the end of April.  This year I am at 76 species in my Big Year challenge and this would be very difficult to makeup but not impossible. The Photo Challenge is much easier to accomplish even though I am behind schedule. I was even able to add five images of common species during April, thanks to backyard birding, ending the month with 20 images.  It is hard to foresee what will happen during the month of May and how the restrictions will affect birding.  The Global Big Day will be on the 9th and I would like to be part of it. At the end of May I will take a look at my progress in both big year challenges and make a decision then.  So stay safe, practice physical distancing, and have a wonderful and productive month of May.



20. Bananaquit (Coereba flaveola)
19. Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)

18. Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)

17. Zenaida Dove (Zenaida aurita)

16. Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)

No comments:

Post a Comment