Saturday, July 4, 2020

Big Year Update: June

Fulvous Whistling-Duck
At the end of May, I set a goal of 87 bird species by the end of June for my big year challenge and ended with 84 species, adding 5 new birds in the month. For the photographic side, I did not do as well as expected for various reasons and ended the month with 41 images, adding just 8 images in June.


The five additions for June was made up of mainly rare birds.  On the first day of the month, I added a Long-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus scolopaceus) and White-tailed Tropicbird (Phaethon lepturus).  On the 13th I photographed one of three Terns at North Point, St. Lucy which turned out to be Roseate Terns (Sterna dougallii), and two days later in the same parish, I added Fulvous Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna bicolor).  My final new bird for the month was the tiny Collared Plover (Charadrius collaris). I would like to finish the month of July with ninety species.


I thought I would at least be up to 50 images by now but the setbacks in 2020 continue, with my cheapo Canon 75-300mm lens developing auto-focusing issues.  Before quitting on me It allowed me to add 8 new images, of which you can see below.    
I missed a few birds in the month that I am hoping to see and photograph in July.  Two sightings of Pearly-eyed Thrashers (Margarops fuscatus) at private residents in St. Joseph and St. Michael is on my radar and the second one, Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens), which would be a lifer for me. I know of a confirmed sighting in St. Peter and a tentative one in St. Michael.  If they are still around I will try to see them.  


June images


 34. White-tailed Tropicbird  (Phaethon lepturus)
35. Sanderling (Calidris alba)
36. Red-billed Tropicbird - Phaethon aethereus
37. Scaly-naped Pigeon  
(Patagioenas squamosa)
38. Roseate Tern
(Sterna dougallii)
39. Fulvous Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna bicolor)



40. Collared Plover
Charadrius collaris 
41.Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
(Dendrocygna autumnalis)


2 comments:

  1. Great photos! Still a good haul for 2020 so far 😅 Hoping things will get better sometime
    Greetings from Sri Lanka!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sadinii I am trying but lens trouble is making it difficult.

      Delete