Saturday, September 4, 2021

Global Shorebird Counts - Day 3

September 3rd, Global Shorebird Counts Day 3 

In the fading evening light of day three of the Global Shorebird Counts, I found myself at the most northern part of the island, North Point, St. Lucy.  Late last month I recorded over one hundred Semipalmated Sandpipers (Calidris pusilla) at that very location and was happy when I saw that many of them were still there.  I added one more species, Western Sandpiper (Calidris mauri), to my species list, bringing the total seen thus far to 14.  My plan for day 4 is to visit a few areas in the south of the island, including Long Beach and Chancery Lane. See a summary of day three numbers below.

Total Shorebird Species seen on  Day 3: 7
New Shorebird Species seen on  Day 3: 1 - Western Sandpiper
Total Individual Bird Seen for the Day 2: 100 (84 Semipalmated Sandpipers)
Total Shorebird Species for the Global Shorebird Counts 2021: 12
Total Individual Birds For the Global Shorebird Counts 2021: 209

Seen running checklist here


Semipalmated Plover



No comments:

Post a Comment