Tuesday, September 7, 2021

World Shorebirds Day - Day 6

White-rumped Sandpipers @ WSR 

On World Shorebirds Day, Day 6 of the Global Shorebird Counts, I made it to two locations and added a new species to my  count checklist.  My first stop was to WSR for a second count.  I tallied over thirty more birds and added one new species, Solitary Sandpiper  (Tringa solitaria) to my Global Shorebird Counts checklist.  There was also a significant increase in the number of White-rumped Sandpipers (Calidris fuscicollis)(34) over the first visit.   
Black-bellied Plover in breeding plumage

At the second location, I saw my first Black-bellied Plover  (Pluvialis squatarola) in breeding plumage for the migration season.  On the final day of the count, I will make a huge effort to see new shorebirds. 

Here is a summary of day four's birding:

Total Shorebird Species seen on  Day 4: 14
New Shorebird Species seen on  Day 4: 1 (Solitary Sandpiper)
Total Individual Bird Seen for the Day 4: 146 (White-rumped Sandpipers)
Total Shorebird Species for the Global Shorebird Counts 2021: 17
Total Individual Birds For the Global Shorebird Counts 2021: 551


Images

White-rumped Sandpiper in flight showing diagnostic white rump 

Comparing White-rumped & Semipalmated Sandpiper in flight

Pectoral  with two Semipalmated Sandpipers

Stilt Sandpiper 


No comments:

Post a Comment