Sunday, January 23, 2022

110/10 Big Year Update: 3rd Week of January

I had an exciting third week of birding for my 110/10, but it is still slow goings on the photographic side. For 3 days back to back I saw year-birds, but my bird of the week was, Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia) a bird I misidentified in week two, but was corrected and confirmed as my 146th local lifer this week, read about it here.
Snail Kite

On Monday the 17th my first-year bird for the week was the elusive Snail Kite (Rostrhamus sociabilis).  I got a few images, one of which may make it to the photo challenge.  The following day, the 18th, was the Red-billed Tropicbird
(Phaethon aethereus) at Green Point, Christ Church,
and finally Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) and Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) at Oistins also in the parish of Christ Church.  These birds allowed me to close the week with 68 species.

This Weeks Goals

Would you believe I am yet to see a Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) for the year? That would be my main target bird in the final week of January.  Other birds I would be on the lookout for are, Barn Swallows (Hirundo rustica), early returning Caribbean Martins (Progne dominicensis), and the parrots

I would like to close off January with at least 70 species, smashing my previous personal best of 65 species.  So on to week four.

No comments:

Post a Comment