Sunday, April 24, 2022

Lifer #148 - American Oystercatcher

American Oystercatcher
My fifth lifer of the year (#148) is one of those birds that you just cannot mistake for any other.  This large, stocky shorebird is about 17-21” (38-21cm) in length and sports a long, bright reddish-orange beak, yellow iris, and a bright reddish-orange eye-ring.  Yes, I am talking about the American Oystercatcher (Haematopus palliates), a bird that feeds almost exclusively on shellfish and other marine invertebrates.  I saw this bird at Inch Marlow, Christ Church on Friday, April 22nd, it was my 82nd species for the year. (110/10 Big Year)  This year, my tenth year of birding continues to be a memorable one. With eight more months to go is another lifer out there? let's hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment