Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Friday Morning at Bawdens

One of the Pied-billed Grebes at Bawdens
(1/1500 @ f8.0, ISO 1600*)
On the morning of Friday 13th, I visited the irrigation ponds at Bawden's St. Andrew to check on a Family of  Pied-billed Grebes (Podilymbus podiceps) living there.  It was kind of a scouting trip as I am hoping to spend a morning or two photographing them but this was not that morning,  I had very little time to spare.

 Great Egret (1/2500 @ f8.0, ISO 400*)

As I was leaving, a Great Egret (Ardea alba) flew into a tree not too far from the pond.  The bird was well lit in the morning sun and tempted me into spending a few more minutes photographing it, a temptation I readily gave into and was rewarded with some nice images.  The Great was soon joined by yet another white egret.  This one flew around the pond a few times before alighting on a limb just opposite the Great Egret

Can you identify this white egret? (1/2500 @ f8.0, ISO 1600*)

The identification of this bird stumped me at first. It had black legs, yellowish-green lores, and a black bill.  Can you identify this bird?  Comment below and let's see what you think. Then look out for the correct ID in a post update on Friday

*All images were made using a Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 Contemporary DG OS HSM with minor adjustments using Lightroom 5

No comments:

Post a Comment