Monday, November 30, 2020

107th Bird Species for 2020


I was starting to panic as the month of November passed its halfway point and no new birds were added to my Big Year Challenge.  So you can understand my relief when I recorded my 107th species, and it was a mega-rare at that.  The bird was a juvenile White-winged Tern (Chlidonias leucopterus). This Eurasian species breeds from southeast Europe to Central Asia also in the Russian Far East, but winters in southern and central Africa, and from India to northern Australia.  White-winged Terns though rare, are no strangers to the island.  I saw my first in 2013 at the Woodbourne shorebird Refuge (WSR), but there were other sightings in 2015 and 2019.  I am hoping to add at least one more bird to the list in November. Let’s see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment